Show Notes – 002: Overcome Fear to Start A Big Project
When I decided I wanted to launch this podcast I had to overcome fear to start. I struggled with imposture syndrome, being judged by others, and fear of failure just to name a few. And because I’ve been coaching aspiring and experienced changemakers for a few years now I know that these fears are not unique to me.
We often feel called to speak up and step out into uncomfortable situations.
So, in this week’s episode of the Happy Me Happy Earth podcast I’m going to share the self-coaching process that I use to overcome fear to start a project.
Before we get into the process please know that there is nothing wrong with you if you have fear. It’s a normal, natural, healthy, and rational emotion. You don’t need to beat yourself up or feel shame or guilt about your fear.
But, it can create a problem when it stops us from expressing ourselves, taking up space, and ultimately creating the change that we want to see in the world.
If want to work with fear so that you can move forward and take courageous, change-making action then I want to invite you to use the following process.
Overcome Fear to Start a Big Project: The Process
- Grab some paper and a pen or your computer.
- Write out the fears and beliefs that you have about starting your project. Be honest with yourself even if it’s uncomfortable to put these on paper.
- Dissect your fears one by one using these questions:
- Why do I have this belief?
- Where does it come from?
- What new belief(s) would be more empowering for me in this situation?
- What evidence do I have for this new belief?
- Write out your new beliefs. Make sure that you actually believe them. If not, go back and find a belief between the old and new that you can fully believe.
- Keep this writing somewhere safe and revisit it when your old beliefs inevitably come up again. They will most likely pop up again. This doesn’t mean you’ve done something wrong, it just means that your brain needs a reminder.
This is a pared-down version of the process that I guide my clients through in my Becoming the Change life coaching program, so if you’d like more support in working through your fears please let me know.
Fears & limiting beliefs that I worked through in this episode:
- I don’t trust myself to stay consistent (big one for me!)
- What if I can’t think of good topics?
- What if nobody listens?
- What if I’m not good at podcasting?
- I need to appear professional or others won’t respect me or take me seriously.
Please listen in to the podcast to learn how I worked through each of these fears in order to get out of my own way and launch the Happy Earth Happy Me podcast!
I also share the new beliefs that are motivating me to step out of my comfort zone and continue making this dream project a reality.
Now it’s time to overcome fear to start your project!
Sign up to have behind-the-scenes podcast updates delivered right to your inbox!
Want to learn more about the changemaker mindset, practice it in a safe space with support, and truly embody it so that you can become a more effective changemaker? Join us when doors open for the Becoming the Change life coaching program.
What project are you starting? I’d love to hear about it!
Please email me at email@example.com
Music: “Bounce” by Coma-Media on Pixbay